So, a bunch of us girls from work went to Bad Moms last Sunday night and it was so funny most of us cried and/or peed our pants from laughing so hard.
Now, if you haven’t seen it, I should warn you ~ it’s risque…there’s plenty of swearing…and it’s freaking awesomely hilarious so if you don’t like either of those first two things AND you don’t like to laugh, this MAY not be the show for you.
Before we went, my sister had told us about an interview she saw with Kristin Bell (one of the actors in it who was PERFECT in her role and seriously cracked me up) about how if you watch that show as a mom and you CAN’T relate to any of it, then you’re one of two things….in denial….or in denial….lol.
So, my #wcw this week is going out to the cast of Bad Moms ‘cuz these chicks are gorgeous and so talented and I’m embracing my bad-hot-mess-mom-ness (new word alert!!) for what it is lol.
[iframe id=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/iKCw-kqo3cs” align=”center” mode=”normal” autoplay=”no”]
Ya’ll heard me talk before about being a hot mess mom….even have a support group for that shit (which it’s slowly getting off the ground but I’m still so excited about it) and if you care to join us you can fill out this app detailing your hotmessness and I will let you know if you meet the required level of said hotmessness lol.
So, during and after that movie, I seriously had to stop thinking about all the things I epically fail at as far as B is concerned. I won’t share them all…..as even the few I’m about to share might scare you a little. But, I wanna share my stories and then share why even tho I fail a little every day as a mom, I also succeed….every day….as a mom.
- Her favorite song is Girl Crush. Literally knows all the words. (Well, okay, truth be told she does have some lyricosis when she sings it and some of the words she replaces with her own are HILARIOUS….kinda reminds me of Jan Munyon for any of you out there reading this who know her lol.) Thank goodness B has no idea what the song means but it’s not good when she recommends it to her little friends. And, I probably made the #badmoms list for some of their moms. ~ But…..I’m gonna chalk this one up to many of you moms out there also have a few choice words or lyrics to songs that your kid(s) know that you’d SO rather they didn’t know….but they do know….lol. I don’t think she’s ready for a conversation about that song, so I’ll just keep trying to distract her when it comes on.
- I let her wear pretty much anything she wants to wear. I try so hard to get her to choose nice, clean, matching, presentable outfits….but she OFTEN goes back to change into something else….especially if I have to leave the house earlier and dad takes her to school. Earlier this week, I left them early and when I picked her up after daycare, she had on a seriously distressed tank that’s pretty much see-through and has a hole in the front. Today, she wore a t-shirt her auntie let her have that was like 3 sizes too big and was red, white & blue with a pair of short-short brown & pink leopard print shorts that you could barely see she had on ‘cuz the t was so long and blown out shoes I just bought her. Not only do I pick my battles with her, I don’t want to squash her creativity. And, while I cringe at the way she seemingly disregards how red white and blue and brown and pink SO do not go together, I let her be her. I’m ALLLL about the statement “you do you girl.” I spent my whole life being suffocatingly self-conscious and you can be certain I won’t purposely make her start questioning her sense of style or ANYTHING ELSE for that matter. And, then there are the times it’s TOTALLY on me….like the fact I’m often in such a hurry for things like….CHURCH….that I don’t stop to realize the pretty NECKLACE she just put on is actually beer mug “mardi gras” beads from a Gnarly Barley BEER RUN I helped with in June. ~Let’s try let our kids be kids. Obviously as parents we have to set rules and control what we can but I also believe letting them find and express themselves is beyond important. I mean, maybe don’t let them wear a beer mug necklace to church or anything but….#letgoandletGod #imsorry
The tshirt and short shorts and blown out shoes lol.
Yup, this was a pic I snapped in the playground that day….after church….when I finally realized what she had on. #yesthosearelittlebeermugs 🙂
- We often don’t get to her school binder until we’re just about to rush out the door in the morning (yes, I’m still getting used to this whole check for homework thing….they didn’t have that in K) and I consider it a bonus if I actually remember to sign it every day. So, she read a little book to me she did yesterday in the car this morning on the ride to school. I wasn’t terribly proud of myself for it being that way BUT she was still VERY proud to show me it in the car. ~Often the PLACE and the TIMING matter far less to them than it does to you. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Just show them how proud you are of them EVERY opportunity you get….even if it means you’re 5 minutes for work…..again.
Trust me….she doesn’t always love that I’m trying to take pics of her. But, what can I say….I’m obsessed with her!!! lol
- I often SUGGEST she invite a friend for a sleepover so I can have a Friday or Saturday night to myself to work or read in a hot bath or watch Netflix (or often all the above!). ~Be okay with finding creative ways to carve out some alone time for yourself! We are only as good for our families as we are to and for ourselves.
- I BUY THE CUPCAKES and you can read about my last blog post talking about this here lol. ~I used to feel guilty about this one but I’m just not that passionate about baking….I’m not that good at it….I don’t feel like I have time for it….and I eat far more than I give away. So, I NEEEEEEEED to just buy the cupcakes. And, seriously, if you’ve seen the movie and the part where she shows up to the bake sale with a half-eaten, store-bought container of donut holes?!? #classic #getsome #excepttheywouldaallbeengone NOW, if B decides she wants us to start doing different things together….like baking….I will find a way to support that. But, I’m kinda hoping she will decide it can be something like shooting hoops in the driveway instead lol.
This is soooooo #onpoint #lol. #imeanmycupcakeswouldNOTlooklikethat #anddidinotsaytheywouldbegone
- She literally still gets a sippy cup of chocolate milk at night so she can lay down and drink it while she winds down from her day. I’ve tried to break this one many times and all that ends up happening is MOM wants to pull her hair out. ~Pick your battles. Granted, this is one I should fight harder for and I can only imagine a TON of you out there are cringing and rolling your eyes at the thought of this still happening BUT you’re not there at 9 p.m. at our house when the struggle is real to even remotely try to get her to go to bed. And, for real, if someone gave me a sippy of wine and told me to lay down and watch Netflix for a while, I would totally do it.
Oh you better believe I had to go see if that was really a thing….I’m in luck.
- She doesn’t sleep in her own bed….like ever. I talk about this often enuf that I won’t bore ya’ll with that saga again but it’s a total #epicmomfail and I know it but I also kinda resigned myself to the fact she won’t ALWAYS want to do this. So, it will eventually happen. I mean really, she’s not gonna wanna tell her middle school friends she still sleeps with her mommy lol. ~I honestly knew other parents who “co-slept” when she was little and I was always like “OH HELL NO that’s not gonna be us.” Until…..it. was. us. Never say never my bad-hot-mess-mom friends. I say you do whatever the heck works for you and your family and if anyone wants to try judge you for it, well, you know what to do.
- I have a hard time explaining conceptual things to her. For being so creative in many ways, she is SO literal and by-the-book in others. Like when she had a friend stay with us last weekend….We hit Applebee’s for lunch after church and then the park and splashpad and on the way home and just as we were getting ready to drop her friend off, she turned to B and said, “Brooklyn, don’t you wish this day would last forever?” B looked at her like she was crazy….just totally confused….and said, “Huh? Like what do you mean? It’s gonna get dark soon…..”….and I’m thinking in her mind she was saying hmmmmm, yeah girrrrrrl, I mean it’s gonna get dark and we’ll have to go to bed eventually ‘cuz our moms and dads will make us and I’m so confused by what you’re saying and it just doesn’t work like that does it?!? Ha, I was almost in tears from laughing. ~I often feel like I’m maybe failing on all levels on this one. While I want her to have common sense…which of course she does….I also don’t want her to take life and things people say too seriously. So, it’s hard to be able to try explain things to her without trying to tell her how she should think….ya know what I mean? I want her to be able to instead of thinking outside the box, think that THERE IS NO BOX. So, I’m gonna keep on dreaming for her and I’m gonna hold out hope she really will be a dreamer like me….only that she finds who she wants to be in life way before I did. Although, I know I needed to wait for her in order to find that for myself ~ so really, I guess it all worked out the way it was supposed to…and I know it will for her, too 🙂 So rest assured that we do the best with what we are given, and God has a plan.
This was the cutest picture of them that day ~ they were watching a plane land before we went in to lunch.
(Notice B’s boots! GORGEOUS dress from her Auntie…and then….those boots lol. #whatever #youdoyougirl #mommylovesyou)
MOMS ~ Remember you ARE enuf! It’s okay to not always have your shit together and to not have all the answers. And, it’s okay to have #epicmomfail after #epicmomfail….we’re all just here #failingforward. All you gotta do is love them hard and teach them to love God, themselves and others hard, too.
And, to prove my point, a friend who has 3 LITTLE girls, one a baby baby, posted this on Facebook today and I had to totally steal it.
Every mom’s gotta have goals….what’s YOUR goals today?!? 🙂