So, I just scored this super cute tank last night at Walmart for like $4.96 and I thought first of all, I’d let you in on the deal. Even if you
hate don’t love Walmart, there were LOTS of cute workout clothes there for cheap and you can walk in and go straight to the clothes section and then use self check out and get the heck outta there lol!
And, second of all, I thought I’d do a #realtalk series post about MIND OVER MATTER because this tank seriously helped me get outta bed this morning! And, really, life is ALL about MIND OVER MATTER.
Every morning, I have to talk myself into getting out of bed. I’ve always been a night owl. My dad’s side of the family was always like that. But, I’ve been trying really really hard to become a morning person for a long time now. And, for while there, I actually thought I had finally figured it out! Not that it was EASY to get up at 5 am but I was consistently doing it for a long time. (I still had to make a choice tho….it’s not like I was that person who just wakes up at 5 am and is ready to rock their day! I mean, does that even really happen?)
Wellllllll, that hasn’t been the case for the last several months….it’s been RIDICULOUSLY hard actually. In fact, so hard that I was lucky to be getting up early enuf to get my workout and my #miraclemorning routine in like half of the days and most of the time I was barely awake enuf to even realizing I was hitting snooze on my phone over and over and over. #thestrugglewasrealmyfriends Which also meant I didn’t have as much time to work with my clients and blog and meal plan and all the above.
So, once I started feeling better, I KNEW I had to get back into a routine of early mornings and my first step was to go back to the things that I did before! Because if you’re like me and struggle with this, you need action items to get your butt outta bed! You have to MAKE the decision to just do it. You have to put your mind to it! #mindovermatterright
So, here are the steps that I take to make sure this happens. Maybe they can help you if this is something you want to be able to do as well!
- #1 ~ make sure you’re getting ENUF sleep! 7-9 hours every night or this is all pointless (yeah, I’m still working on this one)!….Brooklyn did NOT get the memo on me needing to get up early! The. Kid. Doesn’t. Go. To. Sleep. It’s nothing for her to still be up at 10:30…sometimes pushing 11…in the summer. And, then every once in a while she will like totally crash at like 6 and not get up until the next morning. Just so you know, I TOTALLY blame myself for this. She didn’t sleep well when she was a baby and I would try keep us in a routine for like 2 nights and then lose interest in trying. So, I admit this is on me. But, for real, I do not know how to change this now. And, I actually have to get up at 4 in order to be able to fit everything in that I need to. Sooooo, the math on this one doesn’t always equate in my favor BUT I’m sticking to it and praying this will start to turn around soon!
- #2 ~ if you love to work out, make sure all your clothes or your gym bag are set out and ready to go ~ I’ve heard of some people even sleeping in their workout clothes but I like the girls to be free at night and the thought of wearing a sports bra to bed is pretty suffocating to me ~ #justkeepinitreal
- #3 ~ no tv or mobile devices ~ artificial light stimulates your brain and you won’t fall or stay asleep as easily (I don’t follow this rule ~ I wish I did and because everything I read says to do it, I’m including it in the list for ya’ll ~ Do as I say, not as I do ~ again… #justkeepinitreal)
- #4 ~ have a legal pad or journal by your bed and write down 5 things you’re thankful for that day and 5 things you need to do the next day ~ jot those things down before you try to go to sleep so you have focused on the positive and cleared your mind of what’s in store for you tomorrow
- #5 ~ repeat this to yourself 50 times: “Do. It. Now.” (I’ll explain more down the line)
- #6 ~ if you’re the praying kind, spend at least 5 minutes with God.
- #7 ~ don’t snooze your alarm! Even better, make sure it’s far enuf away from your bed you have to get up. Movement stimulates your body and brings you out.
- #8 ~ if you’re the praying kind, spend at least 5 minutes with God.
- #9 ~ no checking your phone or social media or anything (now, this one is a personal choice but one I have to suggest to you because it’s helped me SOOOO much! If I let myself get on FB or IG or Pinterest BEFORE I’ve actually gotten up, splashed my face with cold water, got a drink of water and started my Miracle Morning, I’m done for. Before I know it, it’s been more than a half hour and I’m already behind schedule and gonna have to skip something.)
- #10 ~ repeat this to yourself 50 times: “Do. It. Now.” So, it doesn’t really matter what IT is. This simply means you are being intentional about your life! Maybe your morning IT is to get your workout in! Maybe your IT is to work towards a dream you’ve been dreaming about! The idea is simply that saying DO IT NOW to yourself in the morning and at night gets you in the habit of being intentional about your life. John Maxwell talks about this in his book Intentional Living. He did this every morning and night for 30 days and it changed everything for him. I’d say this is a pretty easy one to implement.
- #11 ~ go drink a glass of water ~ you are partially dehydrated and your body needs water asap 🙂
- #12 ~ tell me you drink coffee lol ~ start brewing your coffee or turn your Keurig on to warm up 🙂 maybe you even have a coffee pot with a timer ~ if you do, set that timer at your goal for getting up! you don’t wanna waste good coffee!
- #13~ splash your face with cold water or take a quick shower to wake up (I found this oxygen spray at an oxygen bar in Vegas a few years ago that I SWEAR by! I love to splash my face with cold water and then inhale a few sprays of the O2!
- #14 ~ now go be intentional about your day!!!
Maybe you’re not as regimented as I am and maybe you don’t do something like the Miracle Morning to start your day. I know that I need to in order to get everything I need to done before I have to go to work or before B gets up on the weekends BUT I would still try to stay off social media until you’ve done your morning frog (what does that even mean you ask?? Eat that Frog ~ another great book! Yes, in case you haven’t figured it out, I’m a book nerd now. They say the average CEO reads 50-60 books a year on personal development and leadership and growth so I’m gonna keep on reading!) ~ but yeah, put that social media addiction (j/k….I don’t really know if you’re addicted lol) off until you’ve EATEN YOUR FROG for the day 🙂
Here are a few other tips on how to become a morning person!
- Commit to 10 days of getting up an hour earlier!
- Then, once you get to day 11, commit to getting to 30 days straight! You will be well on your way to making it a habit.
- Before you start, commit to going to bed and getting up just a half hour earlier each!
So, there ya have it! If you’re not a morning person, are you gonna try it out and see?!? You might love it! It’s one of the best parts of my day when I do it and I’m committed to getting back there again! It’s time to just myself ~ yes, to all the moms in the house…..real, true, quiet, glorious ME TIME! btw, I did really well every day this week! Even after golf night!!! #winning
Happy & safe 4th of July everyone! God bless America!